[rescue] Solaris 11 SMF oddity

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Mon Sep 11 09:28:07 CDT 2017

On 09/11/17 08:54, Carl R. Friend wrote:
> On 09/11/2017 08:47 AM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately there was nothing enlightening there, and the services
>> would start perfectly well manually.  The problem eventually appeared to
>> be that smf had somehow forgotten the service definitions and was trying
>> to start them incorrectly.
>
>     Something here smells like an environment problem.  When things
> start up from SMF can all the needed libraries be found and read from?
> This is a very common problem with self-compiled services that then
> try to get integrated into SMF.

I'm not convinced that is the case here.  I couldn't figure out why the
services were not starting via SMF although I could start them manually
with no errors whatsovever, *until* I restarted manifest-import, and
then suddenly the services not only worked again but auto-started.

It really seemed as though after reboot, SMF was trying to start the
Bacula services using the wrong service definition somehow.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net