[rescue] QIC tape resource

Richard ejb at trick-1.net
Fri Sep 8 22:56:50 CDT 2017

Hi folks

So another session of trying to get these tapes imaged and here is the
status
1. FrameMaker 3.0 tape image created. *happy*
2. the internal belts invariably are always slipping and causing the
tape to overrun itself stopping a copy, jaming/damaging the tape *UGH*.
3. I have tried swapping belts - very limited success and they break
after 1-2 tapes. More tape chaos!
4. I have tried the hotwater exercise per the youtube links but the
belts are even more fragile after that and almost always break either as
you put them on or half way through a copy again tape chaos!

The dead tape body count is rising!

Going off to have a think about what to do next.... if I can't find a
replacement belt then thinking maybe a customised cartridge that I can
carry the tape spools in and drive externally in some other way from the
tape unit drive. I know this risks tape breakage as the friction slip
wont be there on the tape/drive mechanism....off to see what i can
find....might take inspiration from the tape dumper below....

Richard