[rescue] Oracle kills Solaris

Andrew M Hoerter amh at pobox.com
Wed Sep 6 19:18:57 CDT 2017

On 9/6/17 19:29, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 09/06/17 19:20, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
>> They were thinking, "Barring a hardware failure, We do not want the user
>> to be able to accidentally lose data; in the service of this, nearly any
>> inconvenience is permissible."
>
> Which is not an area in which MyISAM can claim any laurels...
>

> To be fair to MyISAM, one of its principal design constraints was that
> it needed to work *acceptably well* on a small server shared with other
> applications, at a time when a _large_ server was one that might have an
> entire 32MB of RAM.

To me at least, reliability and "ACIDity" are preconditions for being a
traditional RDBMS, not a design consideration that can be traded off in
favor of something else.  Admittedly MySQL has improved over time, but
certain qualities in software (like security) can be very difficult to
retrofit later if you didn't adopt the right philosophy from the very
beginning.  See also: Linux containers.

Of course, people with different priorities can make whatever tradeoffs
they want -- but hopefully they're educated about the risks and know
what they're doing.  I suspect that's rarely true of people who pick a
database engine based on microbenchmarks.

Also, I'd mention SQLite as an obvious counterexample against needing to
sacrifice reliability for performance or small footprint.  Ok, that's a
somewhat unfair comparison when taking into account the relative feature
sets, but I don't think it's *too* far off the mark.