[rescue] Oracle kills Solaris

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Sep 6 18:12:55 CDT 2017

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>> Thanks to the patent provisions of the CDDL, that glue will never go away
>> until the patents expire, Oracle changes the license, or Oracle disclaims
>> the patents.
>
> Actually ...  when *DO* those patents expire?

That's a great question.  I haven't been able to find anywhere that Sun or
Oracle actually lists the patents implemented by ZFS.  Whatever shipped
with the first public release of ZFS in Solaris 10u2 will expire around
2026.  Stuff new in Solaris 11 will be closer to 2031.

The timeline is more than a little unfortunate.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX