[rescue] Oracle kills Solaris

Stephen Conley cheetah at tanabi.org
Wed Sep 6 08:09:32 CDT 2017

I've been a lurker on the OpenIndiana list for quite a long time.

My understanding is the lack of sparc support is due to lack of manpower
and equipment.

Not sure if they're the pony I'd bet on for the future of Solaris or not; I
tried to use OI about 4 or 5 years ago and it didn't work on my available
Intel hardware (I don't remember the details, but the curious thing was,
Solaris 11 official from Oracle *did* run on the hardware).  I gave up on
Solaris after that, even though it remains to this day my favorite OS.

Anyway, long and short of it, I think OI at least could run on sparc if
they got some people behind it :)