[rescue] Fwd: Re: SPARC10 died today

john jferg977 at aol.com
Thu Nov 30 20:08:31 CST 2017

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: SPARC10 died today
Date: 	Thu, 30 Nov 2017 21:07:19 -0500
From: 	john <jferg977 at aol.com>
To: 	John Hudak <jjhudak at gmail.com>

This is pretty comprehensive and follows my thoughts.B  As it happens, it
does fire-up but doesn't even run the POST.B  it does start the drives
but with no POST, it's pretty hard to ascertain where problem might be.
A while back i had similar problem with toshiba notebook, which would
start to boot flash the screen and lockup.B  problem was corroded
connections on SMD power regulator which I was able to remove, (hot air
gun) replace part and re-tin connections and solder it back down for
another 3 years of constant service. When it did it again, i threw it
out and bought an HP

I bought another 10 from guys in California and am beginning to shop for
modern software which runs on modern machines to replace 1992 stuff I
was running on the Sun.B  I'mB  not sure I'm up to the level of preventive
maintenance you describe.

many thanks for the thoughts,

john ferguson