[rescue] SPARC10 died today

john jferg977 at aol.com
Thu Nov 30 14:49:43 CST 2017

My SPARCstation 10 hung half-way into boot this afternoon so I shut it
down and tried a reboot. Nothing doing. It kicked the drives, but i
never got to a screen. L1A did nothing.B  So i ordered another one from
the guys in California $75 +/- plus shipping with new NVRAM.

This thing is on my critical path.

I'm wondering if it makes any sense to buy another one while they are
still around.B  I found that storing an IPX for ten years killed the
power supply - probably electrolytic capacitor failure.

I suppose i could buy a third S10 and fire it up a couple times a year
to at least see if it still worked.

It's also possible that the failure in the present machine will turn out
to be the frame buffer or RAM which I can find out when the new old
machine shows up.B  Then I can buy whatever failed and have two good
machines without the aggravation of migrating my installation from the
present machine to the new one.

What else could I consider?B  I don't know if my application which runs
on SunOS 4.1.4 will run on a SPARC5. They weren't out yet when
application was published.B  Any ideas there?

I haven't checked to see if the 10 has keyboard diagnostics - next thing
to look at.

Nuts.

john