[rescue] Sun V240

David Brownlee abs at absd.org
Wed Nov 1 11:33:40 CDT 2017

On 1 November 2017 at 16:01, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us> wrote:
> Yep, others already gave you the specifics, but I couldn't have said it
> better myself, WTF.
>
> I'm not a developer, although I took *a lot* of programming classes in
> college.
>
> I certainly understand the desire to tighten up and optimize code, but I
> don't think I will ever understand the desire to pull out functionality from
> code that people need and depend on.  It just doesn't make sense, at least
> to me.
>
> Doug,
>
> I don't disagree with your comment, and I'm certainly as happy as anyone to
> throw losers-unix under the bus as frequently as possible, but, OpenSSH
> comes from our fine *BSD friends.

I'm sure all the cool kids are using something like
https://www.sshguard.net/ or blacklistd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuuf8G28mjs anyway :)

The rationale for dropping tcpwrappers was that it was a subset of
OpenSSH's built in Match functionality, and dropped a dependency
http://lists.mindrot.org/pipermail/openssh-unix-dev/2014-April/032497.html
- I think someone even submitted a small patch back to trigger
tcpwrappers from Match.

and thankfully there are also other ssh client implementations which
support sshv1 or similar to connect to older boxes :)

David