[rescue] ZFS drive replacement problem

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Thu May 25 11:17:27 CDT 2017

Hey folks, I could use a hand with ZFS in 10u9 amd64.

This should have been a routine replacement of one out of 12 drives
spread across two controllers, but something hiccupped.  Now the pool is
stuck in the following state:

babylon4:root:~:1 # zpool status -v spool
  pool: spool
 state: DEGRADED
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME              STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        spool             DEGRADED     0     0     0
          raidz1-0        DEGRADED     0     0     0
            replacing-0   UNAVAIL      0     0     0  insufficient replicas
              c0t1d0s0/o  FAULTED      0     0     0  corrupted data
              c0t1d0      FAULTED      0     0     0  corrupted data
            c0t2d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t3d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t5d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t6d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c0t7d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t1d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t2d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t3d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t5d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t6d0        ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t7d0        ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

I've unconfigured c0t1d0, physically removed and replaced the drive, and
reconfigured it, but I think I typo'd the unconfigure command on the
first attempt.  Now the pool won't resilver the new drive, and tells me
that it can't replace c0t1d0 because it's already replacing it, but it
won't actually perform the replacement.

babylon4:root:~:3 # zpool replace spool c0t1d0
cannot replace c0t1d0 with c0t1d0: cannot replace a replacing device

I'm trying to find a way to make it abort the replacement and start it
over from scratch, but I can't figure out how.

Anyone have any tips for me here?

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications