[rescue] Sources of IRIX

Bob Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 01:44:31 CDT 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 8:08 PM, Carl R. Friend <crfriend at rcn.com> wrote:

> On 02/10/2017 09:45 PM, Scott Quinn wrote:
>
>> An Indy with R5000SC and 256MB of RAM isn't too bad.
>>

> <snip>

> MIPSpro is much less tolerant of GNUisms and sloppy code then GCC,
>> so you may find your  life easier if you install the Development
>> Foundations/Development Libraries and just use GCC.
>>

>    Foo!  Use MIPSpro and submit the assorted warnings and errors to
> the developers as *bugs*, for that they surely are.  The world needs
> to be reminded that not all the world is a GNU.  Porting is a very,
> very, healthy exercise.
>
>    Cheers!

<snip>

Yeah, so I used to spend my weekends porting gnu code over to compile on
MIPSPro.   No doubt I wasted hundreds of hours of my life making things
like xmms compile.   Eventually I gave in and installed gcc and moved on
with life.    I felt a little dirty for it, sure, but it was easier, I was
no longer spending time fixing code that took advantage of gcc's
"features".  Heck, some days I thought you could open an editor and bang
the keyboard randomly and gcc would compile it.

-Bob