[rescue] Sun Blade 2500 OS options

Nemo cym224 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 14:47:59 CDT 2017

On 12 June 2017 at 14:35, William Barnett-Lewis <wlewisiii at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 12:29 PM, Nemo <cym224 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10 June 2017 at 04:53, William Barnett-Lewis <wlewisiii at gmail.com>
>> wrote (in part):
>>> On Jun 10, 2017 02:14, "Jerry Kemp" <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us> wrote (in part):
>>
>>> Don't remember off the top of my head what Sun's last Solaris 10 release
>>> was, but Solaris 10u11 from Oracle is a fine and stable release.
>>
>> I run Solaris 10u13 on my SB2500.  One interesting difference from
>> previous releases is that the stuff in the companion disc (installed
>> in /opt/sfw) is now part of the release (installed in /usr/sfw).
>
> I've found a copy of the 10u11 (dated 1/13) which appears to be the
> most recent - perhaps that's what your running?

Yes.  Sorry, all, I confused the date with the release:

[~]=> cat /etc/release
                   Oracle Solaris 10 1/13 s10s_u11wos_24a SPARC
  Copyright (c) 1983, 2013, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved.
                            Assembled 17 January 2013

>> I would be curious as to how running gimp works out.  It is included int u13.
>
> I expect that until I get the ram maxed out at 16 gb and the second
> CPU & fan (both reasonably cheap on E-Prey) it won't be all that good
> but once those two specs are up there, it'll probably be no worse than
> my dual core (de?)Celeron Dell laptop. Graphic performance should be
> better at minimum.

I assume that you have the Silver.  I ran versions of gimp that I
compiled from source.  It wasn't that bad.  I never tried the
Oracle-sigh-supplied binary gimp. which is probably better tuned.

N.