[rescue] Desk-height DEC "half rack"?

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 13:14:53 CST 2017

Back in the day, when we wanted to get racks that were physically similar
to DEC racks, we generally got racks from BUD.  (there was another mfg but
I just cant remember who it was).

In any case, Bud, among others make small 'table top' and wall racks that
are approximately 20-24" in overall height.
If you are considering rolling your own so to speak, you may want to
consider something like this:
http://www.budind.com/view/Electronics+Cabinets/Wall+Mount+Cabinet+Emperor+Series
or
http://www.budind.com/view/Electronics+Cabinets/Econocab

The first suggestion above is appealing as it has a removable solid back
panel, a front door, and fans.  One could simply turn it upside down, bolt
the top end panel to the bottom of a desk and be done with it.
It is 21" high, and given the nominal height of a desk is 28" that leaves
approximately 7" clearance from the ground.
It has a depth of 16: which is plenty for a 4, 6, or 9 slot DEC Qbus card
cage and associated power supply.

While the under cabinet mtg looks nice, I found that (in my setting) was
not very practical - changing computer configurations, moving it closer to
system under test or monitoring, and moving it to another lab was
cumbersome.  I'd opt for putting it on casters similar to movable under
desk 2-drawer file cabinets.   Or, find a old Micro VAX cabinet such as:
BA23, BA123, 630QE, or  BA215 oe BA213.    I found that making any changes
to a system attached to a desk that is up against a wall, a pain.

Good luck