[rescue] DINA, was Re: Sources of IRIX?

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Mon Feb 20 23:43:17 CST 2017

On 02/20/2017 11:10 PM, Steven M Jones wrote:
> I'm glad the mirror is still seeing use.
>
> There's a page on setting up DINA in the Nekochan wiki
> (http://nekochan.net/wiki/Using_DINA_for_network_installation_of_IRIX). It
> doesn't get into loading the IRIX sets or the install process, but there
are
> some obscure fixes to the VM described there.
>
> --S.

 From my admitted faulty memory, setting up a Linux/FreeBSD box to be an
IRIX install server is not really that complicated. It's definitely a
thing you want to do in a VM, but it doesn't really require a
pre-configured image.

The reason you want to do it in a VM is that you're going to end up
exposing the entire filesystem via TFTP and rsh, and also setting up
/bin/sh as a hardlink to ksh.

Definitely not things you want to do to a regular Linux system!