[rescue] Sources of IRIX

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Fri Feb 10 21:08:17 CST 2017

On 02/10/2017 09:45 PM, Scott Quinn wrote:
> An Indy with R5000SC and 256MB of RAM isn't too bad.

    Even R4400s aren't all that bad, even with 96 NB or mainstore.
I've got one in that configuration and it does what I ask of it,
which is mainly converting GIFs/JPEGs into movie files (weather-
satellite bits) and the occasional press into service for audio
conversion.

    R4400s with 256 MB are *very* nice little machines to sit in
front of, and quite comfortable to use even today if one can
eschew for a moment the latest splash-and-flash of the WWW.

>MIPSpro is much less tolerant of GNUisms and sloppy code then GCC,
> so you may find your  life easier if you install the Development
> Foundations/Development Libraries and just use GCC.

    Foo!  Use MIPSpro and submit the assorted warnings and errors to
the developers as *bugs*, for that they surely are.  The world needs
to be reminded that not all the world is a GNU.  Porting is a very,
very, healthy exercise.

    Cheers!