[rescue] Sources of IRIX?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Fri Feb 10 13:15:30 CST 2017

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 12:54:06 -0800, Alex D wrote:
> You need to google for mipsPro FlexLM license files... It's been a
> while since I played around with them, but it's a pretty simple text
> file, that ties products to a hostID and a license type / expiry

The most common ones I came across in academia were floating licenses
("HOSTID=ANY"), but we did have a rather weird mixture of licenses -
bog standard o/s licenses (MIPSpro) licensed through a special academic
discount, or insanely expensive drug design software.

> Now if anyone has a personal iris 4d series that they want rid of let
> me know. Even better would be a 3100 series (68k).

One of the weirdest licenses I ever came across was a drug design
package that we were only licensed to run if a certain 3100 series box
("marvin") existed. We weren't restricted to running it on that box,
and by the time I was involved marvin was reduced to a table in the
corner with a note taped to the top explaining the license.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
But I've never seen the Icarus story as a lesson about the limitations