[rescue] FML

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 00:51:42 CST 2017

Both the VT240 and T52XX (don't remember, 2U sever) were too loud to leave
running in my garage 24x7 - sitting inside the house with nothing on (no
TV/Radio) you could hear the fans.

So I built up a couple budget servers to run 24x7, and I couldn't be happier.
They are silent, have 8 'threads' (AMD FX-8320e), and with the cheap MB I also
picked up the MB, CPU were $40 AR. Throw spare DDR3 Ram in each box, a large
SATA HD (2TB), a cheap 120G SSD ($40) in a cheap Antec case I had lying around
with a silent 500w PS and a second NIC and we're off to the races!

Power consumption is low (95w CPU) and the boxes are silent!

I like this AMD CPU, it was a great deal at microcenter.com, and I'd highly
recommend it for anyone considering a 'ghetto' VM server - they run Windows
2016 beautifully (and I assume other OSes as well, I'm running Windows Server
2016 Datacenter Eval on them now, hosting Linux appliances under Hyper-V), and
if you've got SATA drives and DDR3 memory to spare, it can be a minimal cost
build. The board has 6x SATA2 ports and 4x DIMM slots.

Links:

MB:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/465214/M5A78L-M_Plus-USB3_AM3_mATX_AMD_Mot
herboard

CPU:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/486115/FX_8320E_Black_Edition_Vishera_32_G
Hz_8_Core_AM3_Boxed_Processor

When I bought it there was a $40 rebate on the CPU, a $10 rebate on MB, and a
$30 'bundle' discount - the CPU rebate appears to be gone...

It's a crappy CPU, the MB is nothing special, but as a box running in the
garage, these pieces at those prices worked out great for me. I'd have a hard
time finding an Intel CPU with that many threads (incl. HyperThreads) and MB
for anything near that price. For those so motivated, this board/CPUcan be
easily overclocked - the CPU is unlocked, and the MB supports easy OC,
apparently 4.0 GHz was pretty easy to achieve on OEM cooling fan.

Lionel

> On Dec 15, 2017, at 7:51 PM, Joshua D. Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>
> On December 15, 2017 2:44:29 PM EST, "Carl R. Friend" <crfriend at rcn.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>   240s are sweet machines!  I worked with those a few years ago and
>> loved 'em.  They're loud, though, for a dwelling.
>
> My v240 is a lot quieter than the 1u servers I have in the basement, fwiw.
I'm