[rescue] [nifty] FML

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Fri Dec 15 14:47:46 CST 2017

that is odd regarding the x2200m2's.

I have (2) of them now in one of my spare bedroom/computer rooms.  They aren't
silent, but *very* tolerable.

Someone else had commented on V210's and V240's.  My personal observations is
that neither is quiet, but the 1U V210 systems were significantly louder than
the V240's.  More room for larger fans is my assumption.  YMMV.

OTOH, I was the guy that purchased Mr. Bill's T1000, and that is a *loud* beast.

If I understand correctly, hosting was lost, and Mr. Bill was forced to move all
the mailing list to a system in his home on a business class line, but was never
able deal with the noise from the T1000.

I also have a T2000, and it is significantly quieter than the T1000.  Currently,
I rarely power up the T1000 due to the noise.

Earlier in the year, I had acquired an older & larger Sun computer.  If I am
unable to get that system/system board to power up, my plan may be to pull the
system board from the T1000 1U case, retrofit it into the larger case, and
replace the existing/small/very fast/noisy cooling fans with
larger/slower/quieter ones.

Have to see how that plays out.

Jerry