[rescue] Ultra 60, looking for CPU's, OS advice

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Fri Dec 1 02:07:23 CST 2017

Hi all,

I recently rescued a bunch of Sun stuff, some shoeboxes, IPC,
JavaStations, and an Ultra 60.

What OS can you recommend for the U60? Solaris 10 is a bit old, 11 does
not work AFAIK. I came across Tribblix, but that does not recognise the
onboard HME ethernet. I've tried FreeBSD but there's no packages and a
could not install X from source (it needs gcc5 which is broken on
sparc64). I've tried OpenBSD but the X server puts the video card
(Creator3d) in a weird mode. What OS would be best suited? I want the X
Window System and things like ZFS would also be nice.

I am trying to improve the U60 a bit. Swapped the 2 9GB disks for 72GB
disks and put in an additional GB of RAM for a total of 2. But there's
only 1 (360MHz) CPU. A pair of 450MHz CPU's would be nice, and they are
cheap on eBay but not if you also need to pay shipment to the
Netherlands. Does anybody have a pair lying around they'd like to get
rid off?

Another thing is that the NVRAM died. I saw that on alibaba you can
cheaply buy these timekeeper chips. I wonder if they are old stock with
dead batteries or newly produced. I'm considering buying 10 of them to
check them out..

Walter.