[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 3 14:14:38 CST 2016

On 03/03/2016 02:31 PM, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>> That sounds like a story that needs telling...
>
>    Sounds like a smooth-riding van, decent roads, and a UPS potent
> enough to hold the server up for the duration of the trip.  Unplug
> one mains cord from the wall, plug it into the UPS that'll be holding
> the server up, unplugging the other mains cord from the wall, loading
> the whole thing into the van and reversing the steps at the destination.
>
>    Quite easy, really.

  Yup, exactly.  The roads were good, and it was only a 5-6 mile drive.

> The question is what the thing was doing during
> the ride when it was out of communication, unless there was a way to
> deal with that as well.

  Nope, no communication...this was a long time ago. ;)

  Of course I can hear the screams of some of the younger admins,
"Uptime doesn't matter, the only things that matter are availability and
reboot time!"  Bullshit.  It's no coincidence that the only people who
say that run Windows. ;)

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ