[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Mar 3 13:47:17 CST 2016

  It really wasn't all that exciting. ;)  We had a DNS server that had
quite a huge uptime (2yrs maybe?) and didn't want to lose it when there
really wasn't any need.  We were moving it from our primary facility to
our backup datacenter, and I said, "Hey, I've got an UPS in my car with
a full battery.."  So we "walked" the AC feeds from the rack power strip
to the UPS, ran the system and the UPS out to a van on a cart, moved it
to the other facility a few miles away, plugged it back into line power,
changed the IP address and default route on the console, and we were
back in business.

  We were mostly running Sun SS5/10/20 machines at the time, which don't
have multiple AC inputs...I'll be damned if I can remember what machine
it was that we did this with.  It may have been one of the repackaged
SS20s that Rave was selling.

              -Dave

On 03/03/2016 02:14 PM, Steve Hatle wrote:
> That sounds like a story that needs telling...

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA