[rescue] Vendor software support [was Re: RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)]

Stefan Skoglund (lokal användare) stefan.skoglund at agj.net
Mon Jan 4 14:11:04 CST 2016

mC%n 2016-01-04 klockan 13:47 -0500 skrev Dave McGuire:
> On 01/04/2016 05:23 AM, Stefan Skoglund (lokal anvdndare) wrote:
> >>   In my experience, "in the old days" (this may have improved later on)
> >> when SPARCstation-10s were current, Sun employees were the people who
> >> knew the least about Sun hardware.  In one particular instance, I was
> >> told that what I was proposing categorically COULD NOT WORK.  No way, no
> >> how.  Trouble is, on that phone call, I was leaning up against a rack in
> >> which I had built up the suggested configuration; it was running in
> >> production.
> >
> > And what was it which you had done ?
> >
> > Not that old trick with a VME-chass and a lot of 4/490 processor cards ?
>
>   Hahaa, no, WAY before that.  (That was 4/600s).  But it was similar; I
> filled VME chassis with 3/50 and 3/60 boards.

3/50 and 3/60 were VME-bus processor cards...

That trick with an bus cage and multiple 4/600 cards included destroying
the address and data lines in the cage (if i'm remembering correctly.)

You didn't do the same thing (at that time) ?

When was this ?
1990-92 (an 4/490 with sunos4 was my first exposure to unix, and then it
was a small bunch of 3/60 and i believ one or two 3/80 and oh yes a new
lab filled with grand spanking new 1+ , this was in UmeC%.)