[rescue] Vendor software support [was Re: RPi vs SS20 benchmarks (interesting)]

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 09:36:19 CST 2016

My experience with the old Sun Microsystems was Excellent support.
Questions answered in a reasonable time frame.
Hardware was fixed as quickly as humanly possible.
The Sun servers were under Sun Hardware support.

At one job, we contracted a local Sun (approved/licensed) service provider
who was even more excellent.
Great phone support and a visit when necessary.
We have a NetApp array also.
NetApp was bon topb of any mx problem with their array.
Shipped parts to us (mainly HDDs) before the admin knew there was a problem
We also had an EMC Clairon array.
Dell used the Clairon for their Dell Arrays at this time.
So, the people who did all of the Dell array support provided the first
line of EMC array support.
(EMC wanted their own people doing certain things.)
That was a kluge.  Lots of waiting for the EMC field tech to arrive.
The Clairon had tons more problems than the NetApp.

Of course Oracle DB service sucked at both jobs that used Oracle.
Once Oracle bought Sun, they reduced the number of Sun Field/Systems
Engineers.
So the tech were the same; it just took them longer to get to us.

Service woes depend on the company providing service, IMHO.
The one director picked very well and other than existing equipment from
crappy companies, service was excellent.

My last job had pre-Windows equipment but they were willing to wait for
servicing.