[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Andrew M Hoerter amh at pobox.com
Mon Feb 29 21:36:08 CST 2016

On 2/29/16 2:13, chris t wrote:

> Just had a bit of a scary experience -- One of the power supplies on my
> new T5240 just shot out a bunch of sparks, made a horrible burning
> smell, and otherwise displayed symptoms of failure.  I was running it on
> [...]
> Anyone else see this sort of thing happen?  I'm pretty spooked, to be
> honest.

While not exactly power supply related, I once witnessed some very
expensive hardware damaged by ingesting metal shavings from underneath a
contaminated raised floor, which gave rise to new and exciting pathways
for electricity to explore.

In the case of natural death, one would hope that circuits dealing with
mains power are engineered to "fail open" for the most common
aging/marginal part scenarios...