[rescue] Sun T5240 power supply failure?

Steven M Jones smj+rescue at crash.com
Mon Feb 29 14:21:21 CST 2016

On 02/28/2016 23:13, chris t wrote:
> One of the power supplies on my new T5240 just shot out a bunch of sparks,

"New?"  New to you, but not new from the factory, or NOS? I think this
model was introduced around 2009...

Did you have contact with this machine during it's prior service life?
PSUs are not immortal, and if you weren't working with it before, you
don't know what (ab)use it may have seen.

"Sometimes people just explode. Natural causes." -- Repo Man

> Anyone else see this sort of thing happen?  I'm pretty spooked, to be
> honest.

I haven't had a PSU go sparky, but I've certainly had them fail. And as
Peter mentioned, there are sometimes transient or permanent wiring
issues cropping up.

You might want to try:

  * using a multimeter to check levels at the outlet(s)
  * putting a UPS and/or line conditioner between T5240 and outlet
  * using a Kill-o-watt or similar to monitor power draw from machine at
    next power-up

Hope that helps,
--S.