[rescue] 32MB SBus memory expansion for SS2 in the IPX...

Romain Dolbeau romain at dolbeau.org
Wed Feb 24 12:25:49 CST 2016

Hello all,

I've just tested the 'full' memory expansion for the SPARCstation 2
(501-1823+501-1824, 32+32MiB) in my SPARCstation IPX, and it works just
fine... electrically and logically. No surprise, since there isn't that
much difference hardware-wise between them.

But I have the exact same issue as someone else many man years ago (or so
google tells me): the connector for the little ribbon to the SAX connector
on the motherboard gets in the way of the power supply, missing less than a
centimetre of clearance. So, I can't close the case :-)

I must say that it seems a Fail to me, since a different connector, or even
a longer ribbon to the second SBus connector, would have made the board
compatible with the IPX... Solaris 7 seems happy with the 128 MiB of memory.

But oh well. I'll just put the little stack in a SPARCstation 2 instead. I
just really, really wanted one and it was cheap :-)

... anyone knows the pinouts for the little ribbon cable? 530-1814 is the
part number. Wonder if I could find/make a longer one ... or if anyone
knows a better trick to make the combo works ...

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau