[rescue] Use of old Sun VME framebuffer boards...

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 02:03:55 CST 2016

On 2/13/16 6:32 PM, Josh Dersch wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> I have a cgthree (9U VME framebuffer) I'm attempting to get running as
> the system console and I'm not having much luck.  I've tried it in
> both a Sun-3/150 and a Sun-4/110 with the same results -- no output on
> the display (not even a sync, as far as I can tell).
>
> Having never really dealt with these framebuffers before (in these
> machines previously I've either used the built-in mono framebuffer or
> the serial consoles) I wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything
> obvious.  I've set the appropriate EPROM values (set 0x1f to 0x12
> which if I'm reading things right should set the console to a VME
> framebuffer) and I've jumpered the backplane properly for the slot.
> I've also checked the jumpers on the cgthree against the hardware
> reference and everything looks good.  If there's anything else I need
> to to do, let me know.
>
> I've no idea if this board even works as I've never used it before, so
> it's fairly possible that that's my problem, but I wanted to rule out
> operator error first.
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

So, to reply to my own post:  I took a closer look at the cgthree board
and it looks as if someone has scavenged parts from it!  One RAM chip is
missing (neatly desoldered) and a socketed chip at position E4 is
missing (I fear that may be a PAL).  Can anyone out there confirm what
(if anything) is meant to be present at E4?

- Josh