[rescue] Inserting 9U boards, was Re: newest rescue (failure/success/failure)

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue Feb 9 13:32:38 CST 2016

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Steven M Jones wrote:
> On 02/09/2016 08:41, JP Hindin wrote:
>>
>> My method to success was:
>> Spray the bus contacts with a CRC electrical contact cleaner.
>> Firmly seat all cards (I tended to slot them in almost all the way, and
>> then kind of slam them that last two inches... I was only in my teens and
>> a little rough then).
>
> I wonder how many people are using (or still have) the small hex drive
> cap screws that are normally used to secure the boards to the chassis?
>
> I always made sure to insert any 9U VME boards gently but firmly and as
> far as I could, then tighten both the top and bottom screws if I had or
> could borrow them from another slot. This should ensure you're getting
> full insertion and contact with the backplane connectors without
> damaging the boards or knocking something important loose elsewhere in
> the chassis...

I have a couple bags of them, but because I was always pulling the boards
to 'clean' and re-seat, it wasn't worth arsing with.

Back home (NZ) I have just a single twin-cab 4/470 right now, and three
triple-cab 4/260s. In the US I have a pair of 4/470s (one of them with an
nCUBE2 controller), a 4/670MP and a racked 4/280, as well as a pretty big
supply of spare VME boards (thank you to Dan whom I got them from).

I just ended up pulling all the screws and stashing them. That being said,
I agree with your assessment... I guess I'm just too lazy. What a horrid
reason.

  - JP