[rescue] newest rescue (failure/success/failure)

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 10:14:20 CST 2016

Many of the 'tuner cleaners'  contained primarily 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane
and a lot of mineral oil of medium viscosity.  The
1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane is a good contact cleaner but the mineral oil
leaves a oily residue that in some applications is not desirable.  These
types chemicals fall into the following categories:
Cleaner/wash
Cleaner&lube
Cleaner & oxidation inhibitor (sometimes called 'conditioner')
Cleaner&inhibitor&lubricant.

Caig has products that cover many of the combinations above.  Choose
depending on your application and contact materials.

Some other mfg that make good products are: CRC and LPS.  (They are often
easier to get than Caig products and depending on the application, can do
an equally good job)

If you have access to a chem store, and have some old  tv tuners that are
pretty grungy, a bath in carbontetrachloride (carbon-tet) works wonders-
this is really old school.  It used to be in the spray cans but since it
has harmful effects on a human, it was banned - but if you know how to work
with it, it is great stuff.... Disclaimer: I say this in jest because it
has been banned for use because it can cause liver and kidney failure in
humans.  The tetrafluoroethane is the replacement for carbon tet.