[rescue] newest rescue (failure/success/failure)

Josh Dersch derschjo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 14:00:48 CST 2016

On 2/6/16 5:40 AM, Walter Belgers wrote:
> On 6 feb. 2016, at 13:17, Walter Belgers <walter+rescue at belgers.com> wrote:
>> I took out the P4 board, but the error remains. I took out memory board 3
> and
>> 2, but the error remains. I reseated the CPU board but the error remains.
>> Aargh, what is happening? I cannot get it to work any more :(
> It seems that the connection between the VME boards and the backplane is not
> well sometimes. (Dust? Corrosion?) By reseating the boards (repeatedly) I got
> it to start up again. But not with the P4 graphics card. (Anybody have a spare
> P4 colour graphics card?)

It has been my experience with these VME cards that getting them seated
properly sometimes requires the use of force (something I don't normally
recommend in the realm of computer hardware).  Buy a small rubber mallet
and use some firm taps along the length of the card end plate (once
you've gotten the card in place as far as it will go by hand) to make
sure everything's in there nice and tight.

- Josh