[rescue] New SPARCStation 10 owner, needs help with some issues though.

CLIFFORD HAIGHT klemish at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 5 10:41:26 CST 2016

"First of all you'll probably want to grab resolv+, so you'll have
useful DNS support without having to deal with the YP brain-damage."

I'll try that, I've only had to try to setup NIS once.
It was used as a go between our windows servers and linux workstations &
servers at a job.
Since the head corperate IT really only had window experience,
I setup the window file sever as a master NIS server which was set to mirror
the AD.
That way the could control and administrate linux system user access without
the work.
For a home system I really didn't want to have to set up a NIS server for only
one system.

"Remember, "link" indication on TP Ethernet interfaces only looks at
the receive pair, so to have a good "link", the link indication must be
positive on both ends.  I'd check the cable first."

I checked all my cable with a cable test and they all tested okay.
The switch I was using is a 10/100 switch that is supposed to auto negotiate
speed and duplex.
Other have suggested that maybe the issue maybe with the ability
auto-negotiate and that
I should look for a 10m only hub.    I'll take a look next I am at the
recycled PC shop for a
10 only hub.
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> From: mcguire at neurotica.com
> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 13:30:48 -0500
> Subject: Re: [rescue] New SPARCStation 10 owner, needs help with some
issues though.

> On 02/04/2016 12:33 PM, CLIFFORD HAIGHT wrote:
> > In December I picked up at SPARCstation 10 for $5 plus shipping as an
impulse
> > purchase.
> > I picked this up for the purposed as an automation server after nostalgia
> > looking back at using a SPARCStation back in the mid 90's that was used as
BBS