[rescue] New SPARCStation 10 owner, needs help with some issues though.

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Thu Feb 4 11:54:52 CST 2016

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 6:33 PM, CLIFFORD HAIGHT <klemish at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Now onto the issues...
> 1) Solaris drivers for GPIB-SCSI-A and SB-GPIB.    I am using SunOS 4.1.4

Congrats on the purchase. It's possible these drivers exist in the
Full OS + OEM packages with later Solaris releases (like 2.6 or 8,
which is what you'll want to put on the box.) Otherwise you'll have to
hunt high and low.

My suggestion is finding a 2nd hard drive for a Solaris installation
to test this out; that way you can swap back to the SunOS 4 drive if
necessary. I know there are oddball 3rd-party drivers and control
software included in the "Full Distribution + OEM Support" install
options for Solaris, but I don't know if that includes GPIB drivers.

> 2) SunOS 4.1.4 patches, what patches are available for SunOS 4 and were can
> they be found?   I would like to be able to connect my sparcstation to a

Patches exist, but unless you have a friend you won't be able to find
them. I don't have any.

As for your NIC issue, does the OS see it/use it OK? I wouldn't worry
about the PROM not seeing it. It may also be a case of new PROM, new
NIC/hardware address confusion, too.