[rescue] newest rescue

Michael Thompson michael.99.thompson at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 00:38:04 CST 2016

>   Subject: [rescue] newest rescue
>   From: Walter Belgers <walter+rescue at belgers.com>
>   Date: Tue, February 02, 2016 12:51 pm
>
>   Hi all,
>
>   I just broke a promise to my wife (and myself). I promised to collect
>   Suns no
>   bigger than then SparcCenter 1000. But when you come across a 3/470,
>   how can
>   you not rescue it from the garbage heap?
>
>   It has a 501 1550 CPU board with a 501 1532 cg6 framebuffer (quite
>   special I
>   guess - it also comes with keyboard, mouse and colour monitor).
>   Theres a 501
>   1217 SCSI controller, a 501 1102 RAM board (8MB) and a board marked
>   DATARAM.
>   Is this a memory caching board? It has a bunch of LEDs on it.
>
>   The system supposedly does not boot up (havent tried yet). The boards
>   have
>   been pulled out and put back again, not necessarily in the same slot.
>   Is there
>   something I need to know about slot locations for these board? I
>   vaguely
>   remember some quirks with other Suns in this respect.
>
>   Cheers,
>   Walter.
>   --
>   Walter Belgers
>   walter at belge.rs -=- http://belge.rs/

I have a 3/470 with 4x 5 1/4" disks in the top. It is my server for
netbooting any of my Sun/3 and Sun/2 systems. I also have a 3/460 with 2x
135MB? SMD disks and 2x 1.2GB ESMD disks.

DATARAM made NFS caching boards and later DIMMs. If it is not a normal RAM
board it will have batteries on it.

--
Michael Thompson