[rescue] newest rescue

Stefan Skoglund (lokal användare) stefan.skoglund at agj.net
Tue Feb 2 17:02:46 CST 2016

tis 2016-02-02 klockan 17:19 -0500 skrev Nathan Raymond:
> So here I guess I show my (relative) youth, having never used a 680x0 Sun
> workstation (just SPARC stuff), what's the draw, exactly? At that time I
> was excited by the Mac IIfx and AU/X and the NeXT computers, both of which
> struck me as advanced machines from a VLSI design perspective. From the
> photos I've seen of Sun 680x0 workstations, their motherboards have what
> look like an insane number of chips (surely not 74-series logic?) which at
> first blush looks primitive to me. What am I missing? Or is it the software
> they ran in that era?

The Mac IIfx is in the age span such that Sun had already converted to
SPARC. The SPARC station 2 was released in 1991 which makes it just a
bit younger than the Mac IIfx.
Which explains why Sun didn't increase the MHz for the Sun 3 line beyond
the 3/80's 20 MHz (also an 68030 chip.)
A number of people have replaced the 030 and 68882 with Apple 40 MHz
parts and the correct crystals and found that the 3/80 runs ok at 40
MHz.

I found an report with comparisons with regards to LINPACK data:
---- Sun SPARCstation 2 f77 1.4 -O3 -cg89 -dalign     4.0 Apple IIfx
A/UX 2.7 f77                          0.41
----

That paper had data for a Prime 9955II (i started to learn C on an 9950)
---- Prime P9955II f77 rev 20.2.b2 -opt  0.72
----

That Prime is from 1983 (my schools 9950, not the 9955II) or so but it
cost an fair amount of cash.
A reason for all the TTL/CMOS chips is Sun's proprietary MMU.