[rescue] newest rescue

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 16:19:42 CST 2016

So here I guess I show my (relative) youth, having never used a 680x0 Sun
workstation (just SPARC stuff), what's the draw, exactly? At that time I
was excited by the Mac IIfx and AU/X and the NeXT computers, both of which
struck me as advanced machines from a VLSI design perspective. From the
photos I've seen of Sun 680x0 workstations, their motherboards have what
look like an insane number of chips (surely not 74-series logic?) which at
first blush looks primitive to me. What am I missing? Or is it the software
they ran in that era?