[rescue] NTP and Fuzzballs, was Re: Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Dec 24 22:46:57 CST 2016

On 12/24/2016 10:48 AM, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>    The problem with satellite receivers, however, is that they really
> want a good view of the sky, hence the antennas need to be outdoors
> or on roofs/masts.  Putting one in a window can work, but the view
> of the sky is not good.

  Yes, but the more recent GPS receiver chips (of the
thousands-of-correlators design) are quite a bit better at this, they
don't need much sky view to maintain a solid lock, even one that's good
enough for a fairly demanding frequency reference.  Add to that a
timing-grade GPS antenna like a Symmetricom (used to be HP) 58532A and
you're good to go.

>    Fuzzballs...  I need to ask my pals at RCS/RI whether anybody has a
> copy of the last Fuzzball disk image.  I had one, but given the recent
> upheaval am unlikely to find it.

  I have it..

            -Dave

--