[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 14:19:44 CST 2016

On 22 December 2016 at 20:09, Nick B <nick at pelagiris.org> wrote:
> I probably should have phrased that in a less hostile way, but it seems to
> be a terrifyingly common use case.

Well yes. :-)

One review that annoyed me of the Blackberry Passport said that it was
useless to most people because it didn't run Instagram.

I scoffed.

I don't give a toss. I really ought to remove Twitter and Facebook
from the phone and win back 2-3h a day of book-reading time.

But it doesn't run Google Translate or Google Maps. I live outside my
native country, in one where I don't speak the language. I don't
drive, I use public transport and walk and bicycle. So I live and die
by those apps, by journey planners. I use half a dozen comms systems
and rarely, as I said, use phone or SMS. They cost too much. (See:
lives abroad.)

It no longer runs Facebook or Whatsapp. It no longer links to my FB
contact list, with >1000 people in it. The limitations are
substantial, despite it being one of the best mobile OSes I've ever
used.

So I've gone back to the worst, because it's cheap and it does the
job. But it takes as long as a 1990s PC to boot and is just as
unreliable.

--
Liam Proven b" Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk b" Google Mail/Talk/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven b" Skype/LinkedIn/AIM/Yahoo: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 b" DR/WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal: +420 702 829 053