[rescue] sparc10 cpu - what to do.

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 13:28:04 CST 2016

"The deal-breaker is that compiler backends would have to be much more
complex,
and code would need to be recompiled for each new processor generation. If
it
were that simple, we'd all have ARM desktops now"

that's pretty much the deal with both RISC and VLIW machines.  Simplify the
ID and FU's and replicate & add FUs, and let the compiler sort out the hard
stuff to boost IPC, e.g. loop unrolling, branch reordering, branch target
preloads, etc. with help for some addnl hardware logic, eg.. branch
prediction, shadow registers, register coloring, etc.  One side effect of
this in the hw is that the bus structures on the silicon become more
complex, e.g. more drive capability required, which increases power
draw.  HW architect motto: Always seek to make the compiler writers life
'fun'...