[rescue] VAX 11/750s - Re: Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 09:23:12 CST 2016

so, basic electronics: Electrolytic capacitors dry out/leak over time...and
coming up on ~ 35 years, I'd say they are well past their  design life.
Back in the day, SMPs were brutal on capacitors - caps were not formulated
to withstand the 30-60+KHZ pounding of of the design.  Capacitor
formulations over the last 15+ years have changed to better hold up when
used in HF switching applications.
Caps are specifically designed for SMP applications with low ESR.
While you are at it, better replace all those carbon resistors as they
degrade over time, but not nearly as much as the capacitors.
I'd say your observations about the performance of 35-40 yo SMPs are a
overly high on expectations.
Also, for machines of that era, power conditioning (isolation transformers,
etc.) were often speced/the norm for machine installations. As time went
on, may installations 'cut corners' and used unconditioned power.   I used
to have data that showed stability POH on configurations with/wo power
conditioning and IIRC, uptime increased 20%-40%  - Yea, at this point it is
anecdotal info, but it was well substantiated in industry pubs.