[rescue] VAX 11/750s - Re: Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Mon Dec 19 22:39:05 CST 2016

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 09:43:07PM -0500, John Hudak wrote:
> I used to design processor and subsystem boards,....we had several
> 'rules of thumb'...one of which was never use NS memory.

Somewhere around here I think I still have a tube of NS EPROMs.

Even when they were new, all you had to do is look sideways at them and
the quartz lid fell off.  Instant, and expensive, landfill.

It was a very long time ago, but I think _that_ was what got NS banned
for good from that company I was consulting for.  It was merely the straw
that broke the camel's back, of course.

But perhaps their 74x chips that were "nearly" exact replacements for
TI's might have been the actual straw.  7410?  7474?  Too long ago to
remember.

(They let me take the EPROMs home because the farce amused me at the
time.  They didn't care what happened to them, As Long As They Left
The Building Immediately.)

mcl