[rescue] VAX 11/750s - Re: Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

John Hudak jjhudak at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 19:13:06 CST 2016

>I find myself greatly amused at the idea of a VAX 11/750 booting from a
> "modern" computer whose sole purpose is to emulate a tape drive.
Been doing that for years - booting my various VAXes and PDPs.  emulates a
TU58.  Eventhough I have 3 working
jTU58s, my lil windoz machine performs that job very well.
And, if I need to speed things up, I run SIMH  (with RT, RSX, VMS) from my
RL02 images on my i7-4xxx. (When I get some time, I have unix v6 (from a
real Bell Labs tape and V7BDS which I need to cobble together.)

My lab used to have 4-5 VAX750s. Never had any issues with PS.  the 11/34s
were rock solid.  The only DEC gear that didn't compare was 11/44....seemed
to suffer a host of ailments - ,mostly memory boards dropping bits...IIRC,
the flaky ones seemed to have NatSemi memory.  Oh the fun times....My
colleague across the hall used to take great pride in diagnosing the DEC
machines before field circus showed up. - often made me wonder why we even
had the svc agreement....but I digress...