[rescue] sparc10 cpu - what to do.

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Mon Dec 19 10:49:38 CST 2016

On 12/18/2016 02:03 PM, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> I don't know if i860 was overall profitable for Intel or not; that
> would be my measure of success for the program.
>
> When they got the StrongARM/Xscale deal from Digital they seemed to
> have replaced the i860 with the ARM based chips.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the i960?  The i960 was a RISC chip
that had a long, healthy life in embedded applications.  RAID
controllers, network control planes, etc.

The only things I ever heard of using the i860 were Intel's own
supercomputer product, and the most expensive NeXT graphics option.