[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sun Dec 18 08:05:35 CST 2016

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:55:30PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   One thing that the Linux developer crowd seems to have a lot of fun
> doing is getting rid of "old crufty stuff" (read: proven, standard
> stuff) and replacing them with "better ideas" (from kids who are
> brilliant but who don't yet have enough experience to know what not to
> do) that are somehow better but they can never quite tell you why.
> Systemd comes to mind here.

Yes.  I use it as part of the interview process: those who have achieved
sufficient technical maturity and understand the Software Tools approach
as well as the fundamentals of the Unix philosophy can evaluate -- and
dismiss -- systemd in just a few minutes.  It is obvious on inspection.
Those who haven't are enchanted by its many bells and whistles, unable
to realize that the best possible future development path for systemd
would be to throw it away and learn from its mistakes.

---rsk