[rescue] OpenIndiana, quick first impression

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Dec 17 23:31:55 CST 2016

  So in response to Liam's incessant goading (just kidding Liam) I
pulled down OpenIndiana's latest Hipster distribution and installed it
on a machine to see what it's like.

  The machine was a random x86 "server" that I had lying around, a Dell
R200, 1U, 2.66GHz Core2 Duo (E7300), 4GB of RAM, with a 160GB SATA drive.

  The installation went very fast; so fast in fact that I wasn't certain
that it had actually installed anything.  But it had, and it booted
right up.  It installed with a ZFS root pool.  I put it on the network
and am logged in via ssh, just looking around a bit.  It's very responsive.

  My first thought: It's Solaris, and that's all there is to it.  Good
stuff.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ