[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sat Dec 17 03:41:31 CST 2016

> Well said, and from my perspective, very true.

Yes, agreed - I liked the wet paint analogue very much.

But I do not see it as "kinds having no discipline" - it's rather a
different approach taken to the development process to help with scaling
of development.

In a small and controlled team you can force the focus on some spewcific
features and polish these features until they are done. But you can not
scale that model out to lots of developers and lots of features - at
least not with developer doingit for their own fun.

To scale the scope with enthusiast developers, you can do most of the
feature development easily but yoiu have to leave the tail of quality
control to someone more motivated. Linux has selected the model of
bleeding edge and fast developing upstream kernel that is released when
it seems good enough to thew developers, and then distribution makers
try to scale out the testing and stabilization. Some have busoiness
models that can put more reources into it, some use more crowdsourcing
for testing, bus ocassionally thre "wet paint" gets though (Ijust saw it
with container memory management reclaiming problem).

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)