[rescue] Linux wet paint, was Re: Spark10 CPU question (must fix - SPARC damnit :-) )

Kevin Bowling kevin.bowling at kev009.com
Fri Dec 16 23:29:28 CST 2016

The most accurate phrase I've heard to describe Linux is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_fire.  I'm surprised how complacent
people are with the relative mediocrity of the Linux kernel and
distribution landscape.  People confuse activity with progress.  How many
committers has grep had lately?  Is it still useful?  The Linux community
exists in an echo chamber of self-reflected superiority complex.  But the
year of the Linux desktop is always a year away, and the Linux graphics
stack and desktop experience remain mediocre at best.  Linux has leadership
in some important categories like large system scalability, but it is in
spite of the overall community and transplanted from a few old hats like
IBM/Sequent/SGI/HP.

I am a bit of a hater, but we can do better than this.  And the
self-congratulations and apathy of deploying Linux has chilled systems
development and industrial research greatly.  I would encourage people to
take Illumos and FreeBSD and OpenBSD and new paradigms like seL4.

Regards,