[rescue] sparc10 cpu - what to do.

Patrick Giagnocavo xemacs5 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 13:31:50 CST 2016

My personal opinion: what helped to kill SPARC was interpreted
languages like Perl, where the code to be executed was far larger than
could fit in cache.

When running a compiled program, the smaller caches of SPARC didn't
matter as much. But with Perl, Python etc. having such a large
footprint, the x86 CPUs with more L2 cache gained an advantage.

Not sure if anyone agrees with that? It is my naive, non-OS-developer viewpoint.