[rescue] OpenIndiana - WAS:::::::::::::::::Re: Spark10 CPU question

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Thu Dec 15 19:58:57 CST 2016

Sorry, I saw your note, intended to reply but didn't.

I have been using OpenIndiana for several years both as my desktop OS, and as a
media server at $HOME.  I several Tb of digital media that I share out to
various Apple iDevices thru-out my house, and OMG, nothing comes close to ZFS.

I do have a couple of proprietary linux applications, and rather than try to get
(linux) branded Zones working, I use Oracle VirtualBox.

If you have any specific questions, ask away.  For the most part, both the
Illumos and OpenIndiana have active mailing list full of generally happy & easy
to get along with people.

Probably the only negative thing I would state from OpenIndiana's perspective is
that for the most part, many in the community appear to be very anti-SPARC.

If you are interested in an Illumos distro on SPARC hardware, I might suggest
that you take a look at Martin Bochnig's distro, which he calls OpenSXCE.

<http://opensxce.org/>

That is probably enough for here.

Again, ask if you have specific questions, and/or check out the mailing list.

Merry Christmas,

Jerry