[rescue] Spark10 CPU question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Dec 15 11:42:55 CST 2016

On 12/15/2016 12:02 PM, Liam Proven wrote:
>> how do you rank and compare openindiana et al?
>
> That's what I asked a week or so back, but there were no responses.
>
> My sad suspicion is that most Sun users have migrated off the platform
> now, probably to Linux.
>
> And if they're systemd-haters, which being old hands at Real Unixb"
> they probably are, they're probably now investigating migration off
> Linux onto FreeBSD or something.

  I'm investigating exactly that, but I don't want to be pushed to
shitty PeeCee hardware when there are a few more generations of good Sun
machines that I can upgrade to. (I'm running T2s now, for the server
duties)  It seems the SPARC support in those OSs really sucks, and this
is production (i.e., puts food on the table) work, so stability is
important.

  The shitty PeeCee hardware is becoming less shitty as the generations
pass; maybe it'll be approaching decent by the time the UltraSPARC-T4s
are somehow too slow to route mail and serve database requests.

             -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA