[rescue] sparc 2 and 10 things

Peter Stokes peter at ashlyn.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 09:50:39 CST 2016

Hi All

My two penny (cents?) worth of opinion

If I remember the SuperSPARC had much better floating point performance than
the Hyper, even for the higher speed Hypers which Sun supplied. (Please
correct me if I have it the wrong way round). So if most of your work is
integer related, then the Hypers are a good update, as mentioned there are
also dual CPU versions, giving possibility of 4 CPUs per system on SS10. If
you want to stay with Supers then going for SM81 out of SS1000/2000 is a good
cost effective upgrade as the SM71 are more expensive typically. (BTW anyone
have any SM71 they want to sell/trade?)

On the Hypers you have the official Sun versions and the non Sun versions
which all should work ok. The dual CPU were never sold by Sun. THe Hypers are
still fairly cheap to buy, if you want any I have a few, but should be
relatively easy to find.

Take care with the Hypers, they do run hot......

All the best

Peter