[rescue] Solaris not stable till release 2.x?????? WAS::Re: [geeks] Rumors flying

Richard ejb at trick-1.net
Wed Dec 7 18:38:27 CST 2016

Hi everyone

I recall the days of SunOS3 on older 68K based machines and SunOS4 on
the i386, 68020/030 and early SPARC machines. Who could forget the joy
of SunView and the hours spent compiling X11 to replace it.

My experience was that on the same hardware i.e. SS20 going from
SunOS4.1.4_u1 to Solaris 2.x resulted in an apparently slower machine.
Even today I have 2 identical SS20's in a rack one with SunOS 4.1.4_u1
and one with Solaris2.6 and I know this is totally subjective and lacks
empirical measurement but the SunOS 4 machine just "feels" more
responsive.

Cheers

Richard